I don’t care how awful you think last night’s game was. I really don’t. Objectively, yes, we did not hit for Johan, yes, this will be a long season if we don’t get any hits, ever – yes, there were baserunning gaffes – but the Cards didn’t hit for Carpenter either! The Cardinals had 19 LOB!

With all of that out of the way, I will tell you that without a doubt, I would have LOVED to have been at last night’s game. I would have loved every second of it. As it was, I loved every second being part of it remotely.

TBF was out on Long Island, and watched a little bit of the game. When he got on the train to go home, I jokingly said “Maybe it’ll still be on when you get home.”

It was.

This is why Twitter is awesome: during the game, it was the usual Mets fans around, along with the Cardinals fans. One blog, Pitchers Hit Eighth, was doing a live blog of the game. So there were a bunch of us around. This is all perfectly normal.

But as the evening went on, and other games ended, almost every fan of every other team came on Twitter to chat about the game. Sportswriters started chiming in. Even if you couldn’t watch it because of idiotic blackout rules, baseball fans everywhere were avidly following the game. In Seattle, there was cheering at Safeco when the out of town scoreboard went to the 20th inning. People wondered when Mark McGuire would be up. People asked for scouting reports on Lopez’ pickoff move.

We were sad that Keith was not in the booth for this game. We wanted to impale McCarver.

I got text messages from Minnesota:


Now, we had tickets to see the Hold Steady at the Music Hall of Williamsburg last night. It was the late show (they played Bowery Ballroom at 7), and MHOW is conveniently down the street from us. But we still needed to leave at 9:30. Nowhere in our plans for the evening did we figure on the Mets still being on the field at 9:30pm. We took a portable radio and my iPhone and started walking to the venue. The game was still going. We picked up our tickets, walked inside, and waited to get into the show room, standing there listening to the game. We ran into the showroom, found places to stand, and sat on the floor, listening to the game. The opening band went onstage so we stood up… and at that point had to give up on listening to the game together, so TBF continued to listen and I stood there carefully cradling my phone in my hand, watching Gameday.

I am not lying when I say that I was sad when it ended.

If you were watching, you will have your own stories. If you weren’t watching, you will have your story about why you weren’t. TBF was advocating putting Pelfrey in the outfield and Francoeur on the mound, and it was good to find out this morning that the former asked for the ball and the latter was ready to do the same.

The reason I am ultimately happy about last night is because of this: maybe, just maybe, last night was the kind of event that the 2010 Mets can rally around, can use as a unifying force, as something that defines them. Maybe.

Comments are closed.